Zucchini Noodles with Avocado Pesto & ShrimpTry this quick and easy dinner that’s zesty and low on carbs. (yield: 4 servings)
- 5-6 medium zucchini (2 1/4-2 1/2 lbs. total), trimmed
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 c. packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 c. unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 Tbsp., divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. raw shrimp (21-25 count), peeled and deveined, tails left on if desired
- 1-2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- Using a spiral vegetable slicer or a vegetable peeler, cut zucchini lengthwise into long, thin strands or strips. Stop when you reach the seeds in the middle (seeds make the noodles fall apart). Place the zucchini “noodles” in a colander and toss with 1/2 tsp. salt. Let drain for 15 - 30 minutes, then gently squeeze to remove any excess water.
- Meanwhile, combine avocado, basil, pistachios, lemon juice, pepper, and the remaining 1/4 tsp. salt in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add 1/4 c. oil and process until smooth.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add shrimp and sprinkle with Old Bay; cook, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp is almost cooked through, 3 - 4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to the pan. Add the drained zucchini noodles and gently toss until hot, about 3 minutes. Transfer to the bowl, add the pesto and gently toss to combine.